a proposed change to the OSD

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Sat Oct 26 20:33:10 UTC 2002

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. writes:
 > Despite the expressed sentiment of some OSI members, I doubt that any lawyer
 > would advise support of this change to the OSD, if it pertains to the
 > clickwrap issue.

I didn't write it to address the clickwrap issue, although I can see
that it does affect it.  I wrote it to address the concern that a
number of people have had that the OSD puts no limits on the
restrictions a license may place on use.

clickwrap is a whole 'nother ball of wax, and upon reflection, I'd
like to separate the two issues as much as possible.

To make the crafting of this even more interesting, the GPL v2 puts
restrictions on use and modification.  I"m not above hoisting RMS on
his own petard even though, sigh, I know that Saint Ignucius is beyond
reproach, and that, sigh, we could never get away with accusing the
GPLv2 of not being a free software license.  I never did understand
why McVoy failed to point out that the GPL prohibits certain
modifications of the code.

--
-russ nelson              http://russnelson.com |
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | businesses persuade