a proposed change to the OSD

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Sat Oct 26 17:03:52 UTC 2002

Lawrence E. Rosen writes:
 > Do you really mean:
 >
 > A license may not restrict use or modification by the possessor of a
 > lawfully obtained copy of a work.

That's what I mean.  How can you use or modify something unless you
possess it?  Remote control??

But I'm not sure that this particular term prohibits click-wrap.  For
example, a warranty disclaimer would restrict neither use nor
modification.

 > On the other hand, this provision, either your wording or mine, might
 > conflict with the following provision in the OSL:
 >
 >    5) External Deployment. The term "External Deployment"
 >    means the use or distribution of the Original Work or
 >    Derivative Works in any way such that the Original
 >    Work or Derivative Works may be accessed or used by
 >    anyone other than You,

I want the terms to be interpreted to mean that private use and
private modifications may never, under any circumstances, be
restricted.  I'm fine with the idea that letting other people use code
you have modified is distribution of a derived work.

--
-russ nelson              http://russnelson.com |
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | businesses persuade