a proposed change to the OSD

Lawrence E. Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Sat Oct 26 16:27:47 UTC 2002

> Yes, BitKeeper's public license.  But there's also a pending license
> (Sybase) which requires that users indicate their assent to
> the license through click-wrap or equivalent.  *Users*.

Russ, if it was your intent to prevent click-wrap notices, then I'm
definitely NOT in favor.  While many in the open source community are
opposed to such notices, I will ALWAYS recommend to my clients that they
use such notices for their software, and that they require their
sublicensees to use such notices.  Members of the community may not like
it, but the courts are clear about the importance of such notices for
contract formation.  Whine and groan all you like, it's a legal
necessity....  I'll change my mind about this only after you succeed in
changing the law.

/Larry Rosen