a proposed change to the OSD

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Fri Oct 25 22:16:03 UTC 2002

On Friday 25 October 2002 02:43 pm, Russell Nelson wrote:

> 0) A license may not restrict use or modification of a lawfully
> obtained copy of a work.
>
> Anybody have problems with this?  Does this have any problems?

Several of the licenses have conditions on the -public- modification of the
work. This may cause some confusion for the casual reader. I don't see any
problem with existing licenses (though I haven't gone back and reread them
all), but it would be helpful to include an explanatory paragraph for this
clause as is done for the others.

If your clause could be enshrined in copyright law!

--
David Johnson