Open Source Licence for my cms?

Mitchell Baker mitchell at mozilla.org
Thu Oct 17 19:47:56 UTC 2002

The isues you raise have been troublesome for many.  The Sun Public
License is actually the Mozilla Public License with exactly the changes
you have pointed out -- who can change the license, jurisdiction, etc.
 It seems to me that the next version of the MPL should allow different
choices for new Original Code.  (That is, code not based on mozilla.org
releases.)  So others could adopt the MPL for use with their project and
make their own choices. I suspect there will be some issues when code
with different choice of law and venue provisions are combined and end
up in court, but I haven't done research on this lately.

But until this change is made, you would need to rename the license and
change the parts you mention.  If you do so you, it might be nice to put
a header or footer that says "The [X] Public License is the Mozilla
Public License v1.1, with the following changes."  Sun did this when
they originally posted the Sun Public License, I' m not sure why they
removed this notice.  The Jabber Open Source License is also a variant
of the Mozilla Public License, with the preamble added and some other
changes.

If you use the GPL, as was suggested, you will get a different scope of
license (i.e., the strong copyleft) which you may or may not want.  You
would probably have a different set of questions about future changes to
the GPL, which wouldn't be in your control either.

Mitchell Baker