Simplified Artistic License (A Proposed Compromise)

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Thu Oct 3 20:24:47 UTC 2002

Robert Samuel White writes:
 > I can understand your point of view, I just wonder if you can see mine?

Of course.  Do you understand that I see your point of view, and that
I'm trying to help you achieve your goal?

 > I am an artist.  I develop software, and that's what I love doing.  I
 > also love offering it to others, but I want to maintain some semblance
 > of artistic control over my software.

 > More than that, for me, I don't care whether or not people post their
 > changes anywhere.  I just care that they prominently indicate that the
 > file was changed from its original version.  And I don't want others
 > using my name or the name of my software to endorse their products.

Then use the Academic Free License.  It *specifically* denies anybody
the right to use your trademarks.  Please read through the AFL and
tell me what parts are objectionable to you, and what's missing that's
objectionable to you.

http://opensource.org/licenses/academic.html

You may, if you wish, separately from the AFL, allow someone to use a
certification mark if you like the changes that they have made.

--
-russ nelson              http://russnelson.com |
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | businesses persuade