Fw: Modified Artistic License (eNetwizard Content Application Server)

Robert Samuel White webmaster at enetwizard.net
Thu Oct 3 16:49:11 UTC 2002

Apparently, Russ does not want to approve my license.  This is
regardless of the fact that my license fully complies with the OSD and
is UNIQUE to any other license.

There is a reason I called this license the Modified Artistic License --
it is based on it, but very different than it.

I feel my license should be approved, but if the OSI suddenly feels the
need to selectively decide whose licenses are worthy and whose are not,
regardless of the fact that they comply with the OSD, then that's out of
my control, and yours.

It seems to me that this kind of thinking is completely counter to the
ideas behind open source itself.

It is not my intention to create a controversy within this group.  I do,
however, think you have the right to know what kinds of decisions are
being made by OSI, and why.

If this is the stance that OSI continues to impose, I will create a
nicely worded document about my experience with them, and post to my
website, and with all of my future licenses.

-Samuel

====

> Russ, some of the conditions set forth within my license are unique to
> my license and cannot be found in any other license.

And for good reason.  I just noticed this: "You may not charge any fees
for the Package itself."  The OSD doesn't let you not charge a fee for
the Package.  People are allowed to sell open source software as long as
they comply with the license.

So no, unless you want to take that section out, it's not approvable.

I've reviewed your license, and quite frankly, it's nothing special.
Yes, you have quite a bit of language in there which differs from any
existing licenses, but the effect of the language is not different than
the language in other licenses.

 > I want my license associated specifically with my product.  That's  >
very important to me...

It's not important to us.  Reducing the number of redundant licenses is.

--
-russ nelson              http://russnelson.com |