discuss: OCLC Office of Research Open Source License

Rod Dixon rod at cyberspaces.org
Tue Oct 1 02:57:20 UTC 2002

I understand your point concerning "object code," but I think OCLC is
attempting to use a meaning for "modifiable code" that closely approximates
the intent of the OSD; namely, that source code be viewed as a form of the
program where changes can be most efficiently
implemented...(i.e."modifiable") ...a fairly straightforward and readable
code, which is rarely the case for widely distributed object code. OCLC
removed the definition of source code from the prior version of the
license...perhaps it should be added back, if there is confusion on this?

I agree that it is unclear what is going on in Section 3.D. regarding what
is being allowed for aggregate works and not for combined works. Is a
"combined work" a derivative work? If so, can OCLC call it that to clear up
some of the confusion? The clause beginning "You are forbidden..." seems to
hurt clear expression more than help. Is it necessary?

- Rod

Rod Dixon
rod at cyberspaces.org
Cyberspaces: Words-Not-Deeds: