Royalty-free Patent Policies for Open Source?

Ernest Prabhakar prabhaka at apple.com
Wed Nov 20 19:45:00 UTC 2002

Hi all,

> W3C rejects net patent tax, avoids web schism
> By Andrew Orlowski
> 16/11/2002
> The web standards consortium W3C has agreed on a policy that
> should prevent nasty royalty surprises for developers in the future.

Does anyone have good examples of patent grants that meet the terms of
this policy?  For example, has anyone actually licensed patents in this
way for use by the Open Source community?  Is there a well-defined way
to make a patent royalty-free for Open Source while still collecting
royalties from commercial users?

Personally, I'm mostly happy that W3C is planning to go this route, but
I'm curious how it will work out in practice.  I'm curious whether
there are any existing licenses that are already consistent with this
policy.

-- Ernie P.