a data licensing problem

Lawrence E. Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Fri Nov 8 22:56:29 UTC 2002

> What's the problem? Simply specify that open source
> applications can use
> the data while any closed source application must get an appropriate.
> It's open if it's open and closed if it's closed. The
> Sleepycat license
> is here
> http://www.opensource.org/licenses/sleepycat.php

The Sleepycat license is vendor and product specific.  It refers to "DB
software" (whatever that is) and includes the following warranty: "THIS
SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY SLEEPYCAT SOFTWARE ``AS IS'' AND...."  The
Sleepycat licenses is not reusable as is by other vendors.

I notice that the Sleepycat license as published on the OSI website
includes a copy of two other licenses, one probably the BSD license and
the other a Harvard license.  That's probably in error.  I'm copying
OSI's webmaster, because that probably needs to be corrected.

/Larry Rosen