Perl artistic license : embeding a perl interpreter

Olivier Garcia ogarcia at waidan.com
Tue Nov 5 10:28:34 UTC 2002

Hi.

I would like to know if it's legal to put a perl interpreter (the
standard one) into a closed source commercial program (in C) in order to
allow users to add/modify program functionalities via perl scripting.

As I understand the artistic license
(http://www.perl.com/language/misc/Artistic.html), it's possible to do
so if :

* the commercial program is distributed with standard version of
libraries (para n°4)
* the program is linked with those libraries (para n°5)

But I'm not sure with the para n°8 :

> Aggregation of this Package with a commercial distribution is always
> permitted provided that the use of this Package is embedded; that is,
> when no overt attempt is made to make this Package's interfaces
> visible to the end user of the commercial distribution. Such use shall
> not be construed as a distribution of this Package.

I'm not sure to understand the "that is, ... Package." part.

Regards

---
Olivier