a proposed change to the OSD

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Sun Nov 3 02:47:32 UTC 2002

Bruce Dodson scripsit:

> Thanks John and Larry.  Now I am starting to see.  That's very frightening
> to think about, but I still find it hard to believe.

Well, software manufacturers have been trying to contract out of this
situation for decades.  I don't know that there have been so many court
cases that turn on warranty disclaimers even for commercial software.

> Does all of this apply
> equally to my situation, where I am making the software available purely as
> a gift?

Some of us would like to see people who give away software relieved of
all liability by law.  The trick is to get this to be true in all possible
jurisdictions, which is an awful lot of them these days.

--
John Cowan  jcowan at reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.reutershealth.com
"In computer science, we stand on each other's feet."