LGPL Section 5 & 6

Rod Dixon rod at cyberspaces.org
Fri May 24 21:12:05 UTC 2002

The initial clause of Section 5 of the LGPL appears to exclude from the
scope of its provisions any work that "uses the Library," but that is not,
itself, a derivative of the library. If, however, a derivative work is at
issue, then section 6 sets forth conditions that, if complied with, would
permit distribution "under terms of your choice" as long as those terms
include a provision permitting modification of the licensor's work by the
licensee for the licensee's "own use" including reverse engineering for
debugging. (BTW, the holiday weekend may preclude much discussion on this.
You may want to consider raising your question next week, if more responses
are not forthcoming.)

Rod

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M.
www.cyberspaces.org
rod at cyberspaces.org

My papers on the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) are available
through the
following url: http://papers.ssrn.com/author=240132