Discuss: "Attribution Assurance License"

Ed Suominen privaria at eepatents.com
Mon May 13 20:01:13 UTC 2002

[ Please discuss this license. -russ ]

1. See http://www.privaria.org toward the bottom of the page.
2. Closest to BSD. That license did not suffice because I need some
assurance that an attribution to me as the original author would remain
prominent when the program runs and in its source & documentation.
That's important because one of my main motivations for writing the
software was to tastefully generate some publicity for my professional
practice. Also, I changed the BSD's "name of the university..." language
to reflect my assertion of trademarks to the version of the software
that I distribute, another reasonable way to maintain some prominence as
the original author. I thought about calling the license the "Publicity
Hound License," but that wouldn't have sounded very professional, would
it? :-)
3. My license does not require other software to fall under its terms,
but the "attribution assurance" part does represent a modest restriction
on modifications to the software, as some acceptable form of attribution
must be retained. Also, the PGP-signed copy of my original license must
be retained in the source and documentation. So, I'm not sure that
derivative or combined works could be licensed under the GPL.
4. Please feel free to post my license wherever and however you wish.

Some additional notes: I think the idea of PGP-signing a license to
ensure that it is not modified from what the original author wrote is
unique and interesting. Also, I have put a few provisions into the
license that address its use with network security, a hot topic
nowadays. Of course, I cannot warrant that this license is suitable for
*any* given purpose, and though I am in the legal profession I am not a
lawyer in any state.

Best regards, Ed