Lines of Code

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Tue May 7 02:19:33 UTC 2002

On Monday 06 May 2002 12:12 am, Ken Brown wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone know approximately how many lines of code are in Unix and
> Linux?

What do you mean by "unix" and what do you mean by "linux"?

By "unix" do you mean the original AT&T SysV or 44BSD, or a modern Unix like
Solaris, IRIX, AIX, SCO, etc. And do you mean just the kernel, all of "kernel
land", all of user land", everything up to the shell, or everything up to the
latest desktop applet in the panel? Does it include the build chain, text
utils, perl, python, Apache, sendmail? And if we count vi as part of Unix, do
we count the orignal vi, or do we use elvis, vim, nvi, etc.

You get the point, I hope.

--
David Johnson