violation of GPLv2 - remedies?

Abraham Ingersoll abe at dajoba.com
Mon May 6 19:28:39 UTC 2002

(This is a bit off topic, but the problem we've encountered is probably
something other open-source software developers will eventually cross, so
I'm posting here..)

My questions --

Once a company has violated the GPL (v2), what remedies does the
copyright holder have? What must a copyright holder do to protect these
possible remedies, and what can/should a copyright holder do with regard
to the original violator?

How drastically does the situation change if the publisher never bothered
to officially register the copyright with the library of congress?

Besides the obvious experts (such as the FSF in the case of the GPL), are
there any other good sources for information regarding copyright
statutes & caselaw, especially in regards to how copyright laws apply to
copyleft licenses? And does anyone have references to attorneys who
specialize in copyright law, software and open source licenses? We're in
need...

Thanks,

Abe Ingersoll <abe at dajoba.com>
Manager - Dajoba, LLC