what would be best?

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Sun Mar 31 21:13:57 UTC 2002

On Sunday 31 March 2002 09:49 am, Midas Zero wrote:

> - i want a license that users can copy and freely modify and redistrubite
> there mods
> - any redistrubtion would have to be free
> - give proper copyright and all that goodness

I guess it depends on what you mean by "redistribution would have to be free."

If you mean that all subsequent redistributions, including derivative works,
must be under the same license, then the GPL or any other copyleft license
would work.

If you mean that all redistributions, but not necessarily derivative works,
must be under the same license, then the BSD or MIT licenses would suffice.
These licenses require that the copyright and permission notice be attached
to the redistribution, but do not demand that they be attached to derivative
works.

Or, if you mean that all subsequent redistributions must be non-commercial
(free-beer), then there would be no Open Source license that would qualify.
If this is what you want, I would direct you to the FUDGE license as a
suitable candidate.

--
David Johnson