University of Illinois/NCSA Open Source License

Lawrence E. Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Tue Mar 26 03:54:20 UTC 2002

John McEntire pointed out to me earlier today that I need to close on
the questions I raised about the University of Illinois/NCSA Open Source
License.  As I said in my earlier email, I believe that license is
consistent with the OSD and that it warrants approval by the OSI board
of directors.  I am asking the board to consider approving it at their
next meeting.

I also want to acknowledge that John and I had a good offline
conversation about that license about a week ago.  I am very encouraged
by the support that open source is getting within universities and
colleges and from their licensing professionals.  I hope to work with
John and others in the college and university communities to help them
develop a more robust Academic Free License that includes the best from
the UoI/NCSA , the BSD, and the MIT licenses.  I've already sent a
preliminary draft license to John and will be asking him, and others, to
help me get it reviewed by, and improved by, appropriate people.  More
on this in coming weeks and months as the wheels of academia slowly
turn.

/Larry Rosen