Affero GPL. Badgeware?

Henri Poole poole at affero.com
Thu Mar 21 18:26:11 UTC 2002

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002 01:22:09 -0500 (EST)
"Forrest J. Cavalier III" <mibsoft at mibsoftware.com> wrote:

> I think clause Affero GPL 2(d) provides for the propagation of
> "badgeware", meaning that it obligates propagation of a brand
> or mark.  The important bit is "you must not remove that facility."

I wouldn't interpret it that way.

The facility is defined previously as "any user interacting with the
Program was given the opportunity to request transmission to that user
of the  Program's complete source code"

It does not specify that you cannot modify the facilty...but that you
"must offer an equivalent opportunity for all users interacting with
your Program through a computer network to request immediate
transmission by HTTP of the complete source code of your modified
version or other derivative work"

Henri Poole - Mobile: 415 810 6804 - email: poole at affero.com
"Salus populi suprema est lex." - Cicero

How valuable is my contribution? Share your feedback at Affero:
http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?m=poole@affero.com