Response to Mr. Maturana

Ken Brown kenbrown at erols.com
Sun Mar 17 07:30:54 UTC 2002

A couple of things-

1) I take umbrage with law vs. law enforcement issues.  I guess its b/c as a
public policy guy I notice that laws without teeth are more ineffective and
troublesome than no law at all.  His point about "forbidding transformation"
is valid. Moreover, it speaks directly to his second point about reverse
engineering.  What if I reverse engineer a program and recode it in another
computer language?  This problem is rampant particularly because you can't
stop it and it has not been addressed in detail in courts.  --I am sure that
there are some pretty clever programmers out there that would back me up on
this.  There are just too many ways to recode a product and make it look as
though it wasn't the original.
2) Also, there is some scuttling with the second point regarding patent law.
I am not sure if I understand fully Mr Maturana's point fully here, but I
infer that he is saying that people are resorting to patents because
copyrights are so ineffective.  Once you have reverse engineered the
product, the last leg of protection you would have in a court of law is to
prove that you own the "process" or the "mechanism" to make the product work
the way it does under patent law.

While there are differences between copyrights and patents, the purpose of
both is protection of your IP.  And again, if the law is impotent in its
enforceability and evidentiary standards, there is a very serious problem
with the status quo. .

kb