OSD modification regarding what license can require of user

Lawrence E. Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Sat Mar 16 00:53:49 UTC 2002

Hi Eben,

I appreciate the attempt of the FSF to bring ASP uses under the
publish-the-source requirements of the GPL.  It is certainly within the
rights of a licensor to impose those conditions upon licensees and
downstream distributors of modified code.

My concern is only with the interaction of that requirement with Bruce
Perens' proposed OSD change.  How are we to decide, a priori, whether a
license condition imposed upon a licensee is  reasonable or burdensome?
Is it reasonable or burdensome, as you proposed, to require users who
are ASPs to release their versions with a "download server source"
button prominently located on pages every user sees?  All pages?  What
are permissible requirements without exceeding the bounds of good taste?

I look forward to reading your actual license text.

/Larry Rosen