A MODEL CODE FOR OPEN SOURCE LICENSING: 0SD 2002

RD rod at cyberspaces.org
Fri Mar 15 11:48:16 UTC 2002

As I mentioned to Bruce yesterday, I have been watching the list
discussion on the OSD with a great deal of interest. To update all of
you on the OSD research project (a link to a dated summary of the
research proposal: http://www.cyberspaces.org/osd2002.html):  I have a
couple of students assisting me and we have decided to re-work the
project as a result of our observations and discussions with some
developers who are using open source licenses on the web.

The goal is to work through each article of the OSD and propose
explanatory notes to accompany the articles that would  include relevant
caselaw examples and practical illustrations from current uses observed
from various websites.  We may propose re-drafting the wording of a
couple of articles. In this respect, we hope to post for review a
proposed MODEL CODE for the OSD that might help clarify some of the
issues frequently under discussion on this list and elsewhere. I am
hoping to have an initial draft available for posting to this list by
the end of the current semester. The initial draft will be an alpha
version and may not include all of the articles.  This is a rather
intense research effort and we want to get it right. I am hoping to get
access to the services of a student for the summer! I will keep the list
informed of our progress.

Thanks,
Rod

Rod Dixon
Visiting Assistant Professor of Law
Rutgers University Law School - Camden
www.cyberspaces.org
rod at cyberspaces.org

My papers on the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) are available
through the