OSD modification regarding what license can require of

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Fri Mar 15 05:04:01 UTC 2002

Forrest J. Cavalier III writes:
 > Such clauses are not clear OSD conflicts because there are already
 > OSI approved licenses with similar clauses.
 >
 >   The GPL 2c requires a run-time note under certain conditions.

Hrm.  I think that the GPL was simply acclaimed as an Open Source
license.  I'm not sure it actually qualifies as such, now that I see
this note.  OSD#3 says that the license must allow modifications.  We
have always interpreted that to mean that the license may not disallow
modifications.

We have never removed OSI approval for any license, so I'm sure that
the GPL is in no danger of not being an Open Source license.  However,
I'll take a good hard look at any license which doesn't permit any and
all modifications to a program.

 >   The OSI-approved the W3C license which has a requirement of
 >   displaying a notice to users.

If it's in the documentation, such a notice is displayed.  It
says nothing about that notice having to be displayed by the software
itself, whereas the GPLv2 specifically says that the program must
display the message.

--
-russ nelson              http://russnelson.com | Crypto without a threat
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | model is like cookies