OSD modification regarding what license can require of user

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Thu Mar 14 15:12:57 UTC 2002

Emiliano writes:
 > I see the issues this brings, but my immediate choices are
 >
 > 1) keep the source closed, or
 > 2) release the sources under conditions that give the users of the
 > service that my software will provide the same freedoms as the entity
 > running that software for them has.

You can certainly do this, but you'll need some component which is not
free or open source software.  Something like this:

#!/bin/sh
# Copyright 2002, Emiliano.  All rights reserved.

cat <<EOF
This is a license.  If you unpack the enclosed tarball, you have
agreed to the license.

[ license terms ]
EOF
echo -n "Do you agree to the license (y/n)? "
read answer
case $answer in
  Y|y|yes)
    echo -n "unpacking the tarball...."
    tr a-mn-z n-za-m <tarball.tar.gz | tar xpf -
    echo ""
    ;;
  *)
    echo "Okay, then you have no permission to unpack the enclosed tarball."
esac

--
-russ nelson              http://russnelson.com | Crypto without a threat
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | model is like cookies