OSD modification regarding what license can require of user

Mitchell Baker mitchell at mozilla.org
Thu Mar 14 08:20:24 UTC 2002

There are narrower definitions definitions.  I recall an 80% definition
in the tax code and  a 90% definition in state corporate codes.  I
haven't worked with these in years (a change for which I'm grateful),
but I'm sure they can be found without too much trouble.  I can't recall
how dense the language for the 80% definition is.  Sometimes the tax
code is unbearably dense, and sometimes shockingly brief.

There was also a broader definition, using 20% as the threshold for
control.  I suppose some might like this for the "Your Covered Patents"
section.  But a lot of companies do investments around this level where
they don't have control, so it might cause a lot of trouble for
companies that couldn't comply.

Mitchell