OSD modification regarding what license can require of user

Emiliano emile at iris-advies.nl
Thu Mar 14 07:43:20 UTC 2002

David Johnson wrote:

> > So, what if it turns out that the present GPL doens't hold up with regard
> > to dynamic linking? Some future version of the GPL might have to place a
> > constraint on the user regarding combination of works on the user's system
> > that would, if it were distributed in that form, be considered a derived
> > work. I think that should be allowed by the OSD.

A simple example: it is totally trivial on Windows to build a 'service'
from a DLL, exposing its entire interface. This would be running as a
separate executable, but would look like a regular library to any
windows program. If you're willing to accept the process overhead, there
isn't any distinction between GPL and LGPL for libraries on windows.

Emile