OSD modification regarding what license can require of user

Emiliano emile at iris-advies.nl
Thu Mar 14 07:29:43 UTC 2002

John Cowan wrote:

> > Well, I could answer that in two, conflicting ways. If distribution becomes
> > irrelevant, the spirit of the GPL in that respect is obsolete, isn't it?
>
> I don't see how that could happen, unless bandwidth (including the last
> mile) becomes "too cheap to meter".

I don't think that's relevant. Web Services will, by definition, be
served this way. That they may not be available (or viable) to some is a
different issue.

> Suppose A publishes a GPLed book describing some arcane subject, and B obtains a
> copy of it.  C now mails questions to B along with payment, and B answers
> the questions out of the book and mails back the replies.  In principle,
> C could read the book himself, but may not have the time or desire.)  Surely A's
> rights are not impinged on here?
>
> Are things different if B adds his own marginal notes to the book?  Is B really
> required by (the spirit of) the GPL to make those notes available to C?

I see your point, but I still think that if we're going down that line
you can say the same things about GPLd software (private mods installed
at a client site, the client doesn't need the mods, so what's the
problem, eh?).

Emile