Discuss: BSD Protection License

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Wed Mar 13 21:25:42 UTC 2002

> To save time, can we just agree that I have absolutely
> horrible motives, that I'm a Microsoft plant, and that I'm
> reporting to the Illuminati, and get back to discussing the
> license?

Well, if you had submitted the license without the manifesto attached,
people would have considered the license rather than the manifesto. It
seems to be your own fault.

It looks to me as if 4(c) of the license fails OSD #7 because an
open-to-closed transition is _required_ by the license, rather than
by the license of the derivative work. If such a transition were
to be optional, it might pass, depending on the language you use, but
you would be effectively back to the BSD license.

	Thanks

	Bruce