Discuss: BSD Protection License

Colin Percival colin.percival at wadham.ox.ac.uk
Tue Mar 12 15:53:18 UTC 2002

At 15:37 12/03/2002 +0000, phil hunt wrote:
>OSD, para 1: The license shall not restrict any party from
>selling or giving away the software [...]
>
>License, 3 (c): The license under which the derivative work
>is distributed must expressly prohibit the distribution of
>further derivative works.
>
>This restricts people from selling or giving away the software,
>because it imposes a restrictive term on how they can give it
>away.

   2. Verbatim copies.
   You may copy and distribute verbatim copies of the Program as you
receive it...

   There are no restrictions on how licensed code can be copied
or distributed; the only restrictions are on how derivative works
are distributed.

   It seems as though there might be some confusion (see David
Johnson's earlier note on this) resulting from the juxtaposition
of sections 2,3, and 4, each of which states that "You may...".
I don't personally see any problem here -- section 2 grants you
some rights, section 3 grants you some rights, section 4 grants
you some rights -- but would people be happier if I explicitly
pointed out that the three sections cover different actions,
and obviously the restrictions attached to each section only
apply to that section?

Colin Percival