Discuss: BSD Protection License

phil hunt philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Mar 12 15:37:57 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 12 March 2002  4:07 am, Andy Tai wrote:
> While this license probably is open source,

My reading of the license and the OSD suggests to me that it
isn't.

OSD, para 1: The license shall not restrict any party from
selling or giving away the software [...]

License, 3 (c): The license under which the derivative work
is distributed must expressly prohibit the distribution of
further derivative works.

This restricts people from selling or giving away the software,
because it imposes a restrictive term on how they can give it
away.

> (One could even say this license is not open source
> because it discriminates against people doing GPL
> development, but this argument may not be very
> strong.)

You could equally argue that the GPL discriminates against people
writing proprietary software. That clause isn't intended to be
read that way.

--
<"><"><"> Philip Hunt <philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk> <"><"><">
"I would guess that he really believes whatever is politically