request for approval of APPOSL - going by the numbers.

dave sag dave.sag at pronoic.com
Wed Mar 6 21:59:34 UTC 2002

Hi OSSL experts,

In my earlier posts to licence-discuss at opensource.org I failed to
follow protocol and snagged myself on a couple of silly
misunderstandings.  For this I apologise.

I have now followed from the list at
http://www.opensource.org/docs/certification_mark.html and hope that
this meets with your approval.

1. the licence is available as html at http://www.pronoic.org/Licence.html
    the same licence is available as text at http://www.pronoic.org/Licence.txt

2. APOSSL is closest to the Apache licence.  The Apache licence is
insufficient for our needs as our mission is to promote pronoia, and
pronoic attitudes in the minds of developers who embrace and extend
our software.  the specific differences are:

   The Apache licence, from which APOSSL is derived, states:

    4. The names "Apache" and "Apache Software Foundation" must not be used to
       endorse or promote products derived from this software without prior
       written permission. For written permission, please contact
       apache at apache.org.

   We state

     4. The term pronoic should be used to endorse and promote products derived
        from this software before obtaining written permission. For written
        permission, you must contact contact at pronoic.org.

The difference in these clauses highlights the difference in approach
we take to software development, intellectual property and software
goals.  At the top of APOSSL we define the following terms

     For the purposes of this licence, the lower case use of the word
    "pronoic" either within or without the use of quotes, shall mean the
     belief that forces are conspiring to make life better for you.
     The Canonised version of the word "Pronoic", either within, or
     without quotes, shall be taken to mean Pronoic Ltd a company registered
     in the UK and whose information is available at http://www.pronoic.com

The intent of clause 4 is that people are encouraged to think about
and to describe their work as being pronoic, ie as being part of a
greater conspiracy to make life better.  we encourage developers do
this before, or if ever, seeking permission to use the term.

This difference is crucial to us here at Pronoic Ltd.

3. As far as I can see the APOSSL will not taint other licences.
Because clause 4 of our licence does not contain any enforceable
requirements, but recommended behaviours, I can't see how it can
taint other licences.

4. I have cc'd a copy of this email to to license-approval at opensource.org.

I look forward to parts 5, 6, 7, 8 and then to being able to
contribute our software to the free software community under an OSI
Certified mark, all while simultaneously promoting pronoia as a force
for good in the world.

cheers

dave

A pronoic person looks at a glass half full and knows it was poured.