Licensing an XML schema

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Mon Mar 4 10:48:46 UTC 2002

Roberto Bonino scripsit:

> If I understand correctly, by licensing under GPL, I would forbid
> the schema to be used by any software that is not licensed under
> GPL. Therefore a commercial program could not use it.

No, that overstates the case.  If the schema is *incorporated* into the
software, such as by being stored in a string in memory or the like,
then the software would have to be licensed under the GPL.  But GPLed
software can *act on* files that are not GPLed.

Otherwise, using emacs to edit a file would imply that the file was
automatically under the GPL, which is *not* the case.

--
John Cowan           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              cowan at ccil.org
To say that Bilbo's breath was taken away is no description at all.  There