Academic Free License

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Wed Jun 26 01:38:29 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 25 June 2002 01:50 pm, Lawrence E. Rosen wrote:

> The Academic Free License (AFL) is similar to the BSD, MIT, UoI/NCSA and
> Apache licenses in many respects but it is intended to solve a few
> problems with those licenses.

Indeed, it seems to be a straight translation of the BSD license into a more
rigorous legalese.

I see no problems with it meeting any of the various definitions of free or
open software. I am worried about it's redundancy. Are there real practical
problems with the BSD/MIT/etc licenses? Other than the patent clause (2) I
see no reason why anyone would want to adopt this instead of other widely
used licenses.

My two cents...

--
David Johnson