Licence Specified Inclusion Requisites...

Adam Moss admoss at globalnet.co.uk
Fri Jun 21 21:14:14 UTC 2002

Hello All,

I am after a bit of advice as to what can and cannot be specified in OSI
licences.

Basically I have been toying with the idea of putting together a licence
based on the MIT and ZOPE licences with additions that specify certain
things must be included within the distribution to be compatible with this
licence.  In basic terms they are product / function documentation, a
procedural map (i.e. of procedures invoked by parts of the application) and
details of any developmental standards that the product has adhered to.

In simple terms what I am trying to define is a method by which the user of
a piece of software can be assured as to it's purpose and trustworthiness.
For instance a quick scan of the documentation should identify any parts of
the application that perform internet communications etc.

In essence I am trying to define something by which one can "feel confident"
that an application does exactly what it says on the tin; it isn't like some
of the chuff you get nowadays from <insert company name here> that does
things it shouldn't - like use the internet for reporting purposes.

I can make a rough draft available on the web if that would make things
easier - I know I'm not describing this to well.

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask; a polite redirect would be
appreciated.

Cheers,

Adam M.