Commerical Opportunities in Licenses

Graham Bassett gbas at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jun 15 03:48:11 UTC 2002

Hello all,

I am putting finishing touches to an academic article on the legal implications of the GPL and Open source licenses.  This is an introductory type article with transcript of a seminar held at Santa Clara Uni in 2001.  It is for a legal magazine in Australia and Asia.  It is in some ways related, but not formally attached to, a conference I am assisting to organise on behalf of the law school at Queensland University of Technology. (See: http://www.law.qut.edu.au/research/conference.jsp#opensrc)

I would like to hear from anyone who has set up a commercial enterprise using open source licenses and if they could indicate which license they chose and why.  Anyone who could indicate which particular clauses in the license they found helpful would greatly assist.

I will contact anyone who engages in this activity before sending off the final script and ensure whether you want to be mentioned in the footnotes or contribute anonymously in a generic form.  I appreciate some may not wish to reveal commercial secrets but also hope some might contribute in the spirit that if we are to have free as in freedom rather than beer then we may be able to share some commercial opportunities from these licenses over this list.

Thanks in anticipation.

Graham Bassett

Converging law, information technology and education to foster an autonomous cyberspace

Graham Bassett, BA, Dip Ed, MInfTech
2/4 Corkwood Close, Byron Bay, New South Wales, 2481,  Australia
Postal: PO Box 1565, Byron Bay, New South Wales, 2481, Australia
Email: bassett at ozemail.com.au
Web: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bassett/
Tel.: 02 66853327

---