Uniform terminology (Re: UnitedLinux and "open source")

Rod Dixon rod at cyberspaces.org
Sun Jun 9 19:47:39 UTC 2002

I agree that there should be wide-spread agreement on the use of terms to
describe important open source software and free software concepts, but that
this should be done so more as a public relations matter than as a contract
enforcement necessity. When adjudicating a breach of contract a court has a
duty to interpret the terms of the contract, not the label ascribed to the
contract. Hence we ought not hope that courts infer implied terms based on
contract labels.  If a litigant must rely upon the designated label of the
software license (such as "GPL," "LGPL," or some other designation) as its
primary means of providing a court with interpretative guidance of the
contract terms, then the drafter of that license or the litigant is likely
to be in trouble. Moreover, if you were suggesting that the "implied terms
doctrine" might be a valid litigation-avoidance strategy, I strongly
disagree; in my view, it is unwise for a software developer or vendor to
hide behind contract labels to avoid genuine contract formation issues.

Some might say that open source licenses are not likely to be governed by
common law contract principles or commercial law, but, if that will be the
case, I still doubt that courts will be hampered when interpreting an open
source software license that extends no further than a grant of a copyright
interest; under such circumstances, the court should, as they often do, rely
upon well-established copyright concepts.  As I see it, the
"standardization" of open source terms could be most beneficial in the
context of end-users, media, and members of the public...whom might find
open source terms confusing or contradictory. Standard terms could help in
expressing what open source is about in a systematic manner.

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M.
www.cyberspaces.org
rod at cyberspaces.org

My papers on the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) are available
through the
following url: http://papers.ssrn.com/author=240132