discuss: WGPL (WebGPL)

Bruce Dodson bruce_dodson at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 28 15:31:50 UTC 2002

I think the GPL itself would be fine for web pages, as long as you make it
clear that your page content is source code as far as you're concerned.  You
can do that by putting the GPL's license notice in a comment block.  But the
trouble there, I guess, is that GPL's idea of linkage doesn't mesh with the
web's idea of linkage... I think the GPL scope would end up extending to
content that you embed (e.g. JavaScript files) but not to other pages that
you link to.

Has anyone looked at the Design Science License http://www.dsl.org/ as an
open source license?  It seems to me this would make sense for content that
doesn't meet a strict definition of "software" in everyone's book (e.g. a
web page) and would also work for parts of the content that are
unambiguously software.