open source applications with closed source components

Bruce Dodson bruce_dodson at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 16 14:54:45 UTC 2002

If your program was written in Visual Basic, it would depend on the Visual
Basic runtime, which is a framework.  There are lots of open source
applications written in VB.

You should not include the proprietary components in your source kit, but
should instead list them as requirements.  It would also be best if you made
a good-faith attempt to remove those requirements, or stated a willingness
to accept patches which remove the requirements.  For the convenience of end
users, you can still include the proprietary parts in the binary
distribution.

Then your source kit would be for an incomplete program, but would be OSI
Certified.  There are lots of incomplete OSI certified products out there.
Mozilla was incomplete when it was launched.

In a few cases a closed-source requirement can remain in the software
indefinately, and no one will object.  For example, if your open source
component is an Adobe Photoshop plugin, it may reasonably depend on
Photoshop.  (No one will be put out by this because the only people who
would want that software are those who have Photoshop.)

Although I haven't quite answered your question, I hope that helps.

Bruce