open source licenses and algorithms

Patrik Wallstrom pawal at blipp.com
Mon Jan 21 23:17:22 UTC 2002

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Randy Kramer wrote:

> > So, is the algorithm patented as well as copyrighted?  If so, I think
> > another can of worms is about to have the top popped off.
> >
> > > You can license something that is patented, thus, if an algorithm is
> > > patented, it could be licensed.
>
> What algorithm are we talking about?  AFAIK, the discussion was about a
> hypothetical algorithm.

I asked a question about a (still hypothetical, but a practical thing I
have to work out) program with an algorithm and a protocol that (if
possible) will be locked to that exact algorithm and protocol provided
with the original software, but still with an open source license. I guess
I have to either not open source it, or change this requirement.

> If you are asking "can an algorithm be both copyrighted and patented?"

No.

--
patrik_wallstrom->foodfight->pawal at blipp.com->+46-709580442