Advertising Clauses in Licenses

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jan 21 22:47:30 UTC 2002

on Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 09:29 AM -0800, Lawrence E. Rosen (lrosen at rosenlaw.com) wrote:
> > From: John Cowan [mailto:cowan at mercury.ccil.org]
> > Subject: Re: Advertising Clauses in Licenses
> >
> > Lawrence E. Rosen scripsit:
> >
> > > As for the GPL, where does it say that you can't distribute
> > source via
> > > a website?  As I read it, you must merely distribute source
> > code "on a
> > > medium customarily used for software interchange."  I now
> > get almost
> > > all of my software, including proprietary programs, through
> > downloads.
> >
> > See
> >
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DistributeWithSourceOnInternet
> > et seqq.
>
> I see where the gnu.org site comments on that.  But I see no such
> restrictions in the GPL itself.  "Not every user is on a network."  ????
> Every user that wants source is *now* on the Internet.  The license
> provisions rule.
>
> Please note that I'm not necessarily recommending this as a standard
> procedure.  I was just trying to suggest an alternative for those who
> complain that they can't fit all the required notices on a file on disk
> along with the software.  That has to be a subset of a subset of a
> subset of distributors.

If the request is taken to be "to any third party...on a medium
customarially used for software interchange", and the third party in
question doesn't have network access, I'd grant the FSF wiggle room for
their argument.  Otherwise you are discriminating against third parties
lacking (effective or affordable) network access.

Peace.

We freed Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA! http://www.freesklyarov.org