paradox Open Source / Open Content

sandro_zic at web.de sandro_zic at web.de
Thu Jan 17 09:19:28 UTC 2002

Well, we took our time to think about the excellent feedback we got
on this list.

On 10 Jan 2002, at 23:16, Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. wrote:

> I am assuming your software is a server side program that provides the
> functionality of a sophisiticated web browser and an advanced document
> reader (like adobe reader).

Our software runs server side and is accessed by a web browser. Usually, output to the browser is HTML. Actually, we use DocBookXML and transform it to HTML or PDF.

The software's architecture will allow for distributed repositories and
will thus offer a client-server architecture based on webservices
(XML-RPC, SOAP, ...).

> If so, why wouldn't the copyleft provision
> in the GNU GPL serve your purpose as far as the software is concerned?
> Why wouldn't copyleft create a sufficient (although not perfect)
> disincentive to use your software for proprietary content? The
> disincentives should cut from at least two angles: the potential
> code-fork of your software as well as the copyright holders of "closed"
> content, which the code forker must be concerned about if he is to
> profit from his fork. Unless I am missing something, a strong copyleft
> provision might assist your project's objectives.

That's one of the reasons why the GPL - on one side - perfectly fits
our needs and intentions.

> Regarding a related matter, I am assuming your agenda has benefitted
> from considerable aforethought and planning from your group and lawyers.
> Unfortunately, it is not easy in today's climate to combine open source
> and open content and avoid/minimize the risks of indirect copyright
> infringement. As we now know from the lessons of file-sharing (and, to
> some extent, Napster), it seems you are better served considering what
> might happen to the interests of "closed content" copyright holders when
> software like the type I think you have developed is distributed.

We are considering strong resentments from publishing houses as
our software provides the means to e.g. scientists to found online
journals on their own, thus circumventing the traditional content
distribution channels. This idea of online journals is quite similar to a
project on Sourceforge.net. That's where we stole the idea from :)

The question we were still not able to answer ourselves is: how can
we protect the freedom of open content (at least) in the fields of
science and education (at least) when our software is being used?
Just think of a Napster (allthough our software is not really p2p) for
open content that does not infringe the rights of copyright holders
because the users of this "Open Content Napster" share articles that
authors offer for free as authors publish their works with our open
content license (this will _not_ be the OPL
http://opencontent.org/opl.shtml; but that's another discussion) which
grants the free (re-)use.

Think of a copyleft Napster that distributes copyleft content. Or
simply think of a Sourceforge for scientists where they publish their
works for free in self-organised online journals.

Now, how can we prevent that our software is being used by
publishing houses to offer closed content (in science and education)
and thus "sabotage" the intention of our programmers, to build a
software for an open knowledge network? We can't? Because the
section 6 of the OSD states "No Discrimination Against Fields of
Endeavor"? So let the freedom of knowledge and content sharing be
restricted by the freedom of free use of our software?

I am well aware that we now somehow leave the path of legal matters
to political matters: we want our software to be used to share open
content (like free scientific works) and open knowledge (like open
metadata/ontologies). If someone uses it for closed content in the
fields of science and education, the content should be available for
free after 9 months of the initial publication. One can do with our
software whatever he wants if he does that in a company intranet or
in the public in other fields than science or education.

So what does section 6 of the OSD really mean? Open Source -
yes! Open Content - well... Section 6 of the OSD is able to protect
free software, but becomes contradictory to a "basic idea of open
content/knowledge" based on the "basic idea of open source"
mentioned at the startpage of www.opensource.org:

"When scientists can read, redistribute, and modify the text of a
scientific work, the publication evolves. People improve it, people
adapt it, people fix mistakes. And this can happen at a speed that, if
one is used to the slow pace of conventional development of
scientific works (or better: distribution of knowledge), seems
astonishing."

How can we bring together the idea of open source and open
content/knowledge? You say: no problem! I say: there is a problem
when you develop a software for open content/knowledge as open
source. The problem is that the free use of this software
compromises the intended use of this software for open
content/knowledge (at least in the fields of science and education).

How can we grant that scientist can work with free scientifc texts at
least if someone uses our software and at least 9 months after initial
publication? We can't do it as long as we want to provide our
software under GPL? So we simply have to face the fact that
powerful publishing houses can do the same as we do, but with
closed content - and even with our software? That's a shame ;)

Sorry for my provocative questions - just trying to point out some
things ;)

Sandro