paradox Open Source / Open Content

Lawrence E. Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Thu Jan 10 23:37:10 UTC 2002

Your question raises an important issue of open source compatible
business models.

Restricting the commercial use of software through a license term is
incompatible with section 6 of the OSD:

   #6. No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor

       The license must not restrict anyone from making
       use of the program in a specific field of endeavor.
       For example, it may not restrict the program from
       being used in a business, or from being used for
       genetic research.

       Rationale: The major intention of this clause is
       to prohibit license traps that prevent open source
       from being used commercially. We want commercial
       users to join our community, not feel excluded from it.

Please note that this provision applies to the *use* of the program by
licensees.  In other words, you could not prevent your program from
being used commercially and still be "OSI Certified Open Source".

Even an open source program may accept as input a separately copyrighted
work (e.g., an MP3 file, a graphic, a document, a university course,
etc.) that is separately licensed on a restricted basis.  The restricted
licensing of input data for a program does not, by itself, violate OSD
#6 with respect to the program's license.  So if you or your licensees
build a business model that involves making money off proprietary input
data, go for it!  OSI Certified software cannot restrict that business
model -- because of OSD #6.

/Larry Rosen