paradox Open Source / Open Content

sandro_zic at web.de sandro_zic at web.de
Thu Jan 10 09:07:13 UTC 2002

Thanks a lot for your answers, Abe and Rod! I appreciate your
comments a lot because they helped me to think clearer about some
of the points I wrote. Nevertheless it seems to me that you did not
quite catch the essence of our problem. I will try my best now to
make it clearer:

Rod wrote:
"Your question seems to raise several issues. As stated, however, I
had
difficulty in determining whether your concern is really about
software or
content (i.e. publications made available by software)."

The combinations of both is actually, where our problem with the
GPL starts: The oc4 project introduces the idea of open source to
content producers and consumers. We simply generalised the
underlying social philosophy of the GNU project that sharing
knowledge (in this case source code) grants a win-win-situation for
all participants. I.e. that our project is open in two ways: open
source and open content, as we believe that sharing knowledge in
e.g. public domain scientific works or in disucssions about such
works, unleashes the potentials of open source (reads: 'the
potentials of sharing knowledge for free') to scientists, students,
teachers, pupils, etc.

Thus our concern is about software _and_ publications made
available by software. Both must be free, otherwise a proprietary
software runs counter the idea of open content - and we all now how
crucial a free and open infrastructure is to the free flow of
communication. This is where the paradox comes into play:

Sandro wrote:
"What if someone uses our software to restrict access to
publications by offering them on a pay-for-view basis?"

In the case of our project, the free distribution of content can be
jeopardized by the free distribution of our software. This is why we
think of restricting the free distribution of our software in the fields of
science and education as we consider these two fields as crucial to
the right of free access to information.

Abe wrote:
"> The rationale behind this is that our software can be used without
any
> restrictions in all fields except science and education.
-- This is in blatant disagreement with the OSD paragraph 6:
   No discrimination against fields of endeavor."

That's exactly our problem! So what to do with the above mentioned
conflict of open source and open content regarding their distribution
and the aim of our project, to provide the infrastructure (=software)
for open content production and re-use.

Abe wrote:
"> Anyone who uses our software for commercial purpose in the
fields of
> science and education,
-- How do you define 'commercial purpose'? This is a difficult
question!"

True! We mean: restricting access to publications which are
published with and within our software in a way that you have to pay
for viewing or discussing the texts or for downloading a copy -
simply: paying to work with the texts in any way.

Abe wrote:
"> a) is obliged to offer the publications for free 9 months after they
> were published.
-- During 9 months or starting 9 months after initial publication?
   How do you define 'published'? Be careful or you'll allow
   circumvention of your intentions."

Starting 9 months after initial publication. Good point 'How do you
define 'published'?'. Well, we might define 'published' on behalf of
the build in software routines that trigger the process of publishing -
though I am not sure yet.

Abe wrote:
"> b) is obliged to keep his site (using our software) functioning to
> communicate with the central routing servers of our network which
hold
> together the decentral repositories.
-- For how long? Sure you cannot force anyone to keep a site in the
   air for an indefinite period? What if copyrights are transferred?
   If the copyright owner goes broke? Dies and leaves his/her rights
   to whomsoever?"

Thanks for that comment. We will think about that.

Rod wrote:
"If you have a proposed license, you might want to simply to post it
to the list?"

Thank you! We will definitely do that as soon as we finished writing
the license.

Abe wrote:
"You chose an unhappy name! 0C4 is a code that is *awfully*
common to mainframe programmers."

I did not know that - thanks for the hint!

I hope I made clear the essence of our problem. It is not only about
software, but also about the content created and distributed on the
basis of that software - and especially the idea of our project to
apply the idea of open source to all kinds of knowledge work. I am
well aware, that my questions are of principal nature. Please forgive
me the missing pragmatism ;) Nevertheless I would be happy if you
could further help us on our problem so we might find a pragmatic
solution.

Thanks again,
Sandro