QuantLib License 1.0 submitted for OSD branding

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jan 8 21:20:31 UTC 2002

on Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 12:31:35PM +0100, Ferdinando Ametrano (ferdinando at ametrano.net) wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I would like to submit the QuantLib License 1.0
> (http://quantlib.org/license.html) for OSD branding.
>
> Since it is a Xfree86-style license there should be no problem, but I
> wonder how to obtain a formal OSD conformance certification. Is this email
> to license-discuss enough?

Generally, though posting text is helpful for discussion.

    The QuantLib License

       The QuantLib license seeks to allow free use of QuantLib and its
       source. The goal is to allow QuantLib to flourish as a
       free-software/open-source project. It is a [33]XFree86-style
       license, also known as X-Consortium or MIT or modified-BSD style
       license. As such QuantLib is both [34]Open Source and [35]Free
       Software. This license has been confirmed as GPL compatible by
       the FSF.

    QUANTLIB LICENSE 1.0

    Copyright (C) 2000-2001-2002 QuantLib Group. All rights reserved.

    Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person
    obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files
    (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction,
    including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge,
    publish, distribute, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to
    permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, provided
    that the above copyright notice and this permission notice appear in
    all copies of the Software and that both the above copyright notice
    and this permission notice appear in supporting documentation.

    THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
    EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF
    MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND
    NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTY RIGHTS. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE MEMBERS
    OF THE QUANTLIB GROUP BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, OR ANY SPECIAL
    INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER
    RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF
    CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN
    CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.

    Except as contained in this notice, the name of QuantLib Group
    members and the name of the QuantLib Group itself shall not be used
    in advertising or otherwise to promote the sale, use or other
    dealings in this Software without prior written authorization of the
    interested party.

    The QuantLib Group includes: Ferdinando Ametrano Luigi Ballabio
    Marco Marchioro Sadruddin Rejeb RiskMap srl Nicolas Di Césaré Enrico
    Sirola Mario Aleppo Adolfo Benin Maxim Sokolov

This isn't a verbatim + modifications of the BSD license.  As a matter
of efficiency, if there's no need to deviate from default BSD language,
it should help streamline both OSI approval and developer acceptance.

The terms appear to be generally conformant with the OSD.

NB:  the OSI's server seems to have suffered a crash, the OSD is not
currently online.

IANAL, TINLA, YADA.

We freed Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA! http://www.freesklyarov.org