Exclusion of international laws

Chloe Hoffman chloehoffman at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 7 22:45:48 UTC 2002

This is not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is established.
etc etc

>From: Abe Kornelis <abe at bixoft.nl>
>To: license-discuss at opensource.org
>Subject: Exclusion of international laws
>Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 22:02:29 -0800
>
>Hello all,
>
>Best wishes for the new year to all of you.
>
>I have noticed that various OSI-approved licenses
>exclude the United Nations Convention on Contracts
>for the International Sale of Goods.
>
>First question: why would anyone want to exclude
>a supranational regulation. I'd suppose such
>regulations are installed in order to promote
>international trade...

A contracting party would want to exclude the UN CISG primarily where it
prefers a different law. For example, where a party prefers the law of New
York with respect to all its transactions, domestic or international, it
would want to exclude the UN CISG from applying to its international
contracts - a uniformity reason. A party may want to have a law it knows
apply instead of assume the interpretation of the UN CISG - a certainty
reason. A party may disagree with the provisions of the UN CISG - a
substantive reason. Of course, there could me many more reasons. You can
read the UN CISG here:
http://www.uncitral.org/english/texts/sales/CISG.htm

>Second question: Once this Convention has been
>ratified by a country's government I'd assume it
>has status of law within that country. Is it
>legally possible then, to bypass such a regulation?
>I mean, I could write that applciation of regulations
>relating to racism are excluded from my license X,
>but I seriously doubt that such a statement would
>have any consequence: it would simply be overridden
>by 'the law'. Anybody willing to shed some light
>on these - to me - murky matters?

The UN CISG expressly permits "parties", i.e. parties to a contract as
distinct from the "States" who ratify the CISG, to exclude its application.

Article 6

The parties may exclude the application of this Convention or, subject to
article 12, derogate from or vary the effect of any of its provisions.