APSL and Microsoft Broad Source License

Christian Gross ChristianHGross at yahoo.ca
Sat Feb 9 21:26:08 UTC 2002

I looked at the various licenses and have found something a bit
odd.  Looking at the APSL license:

1.8 "Personal Use" means use of Covered Code by an individual solely for
his or her personal, private and non-commercial purposes. An individual's
use of Covered Code in his or her capacity as an officer, employee, member,
independent contractor or agent of a corporation, business or organization
(commercial or non-commercial) does not qualify as Personal Use.

2.1 You may use, reproduce, display, perform, modify and distribute
Original Code, with or without Modifications, solely for Your internal
research and development and/or Personal Use, provided that in each instance:

Now lets look at the Microsoft Broad Source License:

You can use this Software for any non-commercial purpose, including
distributing derivatives. Running your business operations would not be
considered non-commercial.

Can someone please tell me what the difference is and why the APSL is
considered Open Source and why the Microsoft License is not?  I saw the
following email
(http://www.crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:3155:200104:ahknalddnbodbnpmamja)
about this and am confused even further

I am not trying to be a pain or start an argument.  The reason why I am
puzzled is because:

1)  I want to do things right
2)  I want to say the right things
3)  I want to release some source code under the best license for my
circumstances.

Christian Gross