discuss: Open Methodology License

Pete Herzog pete at ideahamster.org
Mon Dec 2 08:51:38 UTC 2002

Hi,

I didn't consider that the methodology would be patentable but you're
right, it is.  To me it seemed obvious and not something worthy of a
patent (like one-click shopping I suppose).  However, I don't think we
would survive prior art if we did patent and even if we did what we want
is the exact opposite of a patent-- free use for everyone.

What I need then is a license to prevent others from publishing the
methodologies in whole or part and how they are distributed.  We want
people to use the "trade secret".  We don't want it to be a secret,
rather we want to encourage standardization.  Perhaps a form of EULA is
needed?  Although that's how I saw the GPL is some regards-- the
copyright takes away your rights and the GPL as EULA gives you most of
them back with provisions.  Which is why I'm seeking an open license
format.  In this regard I do hope that OSI sees this as an opportunity
to blatantly promote prior art for methodologies which call attention to
themselves as standards while protecting the copyright in the printed
word.

You say it's not for OSI but I hope you reconsider that the copyright
portion of the license is what applies to methodologies and not that I
am trying to use the license in place of a patent or trade secret.

Sincerely,
-pete.