Legal soundness comes to open source distribution

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Aug 15 06:36:50 UTC 2002

Quoting Russell Nelson (nelson at crynwr.com):

> They were also wrong.  Oh, we *can* stretch the definition, but
> inventing requirements out of whole cloth is an invitation to a party
> -- party to a lawsuit, that is.

I understand (thanks to Lawrence) the reason why this could create
problems maintaining the certification mark under trademark law.  But I
must admit I can't for the life of me think of any legal theory whereby
denying certification would be a tort.  Perhaps you could elaborate?

--
"Is it not the beauty of an asynchronous form of discussion that one can go and
make cups of tea, floss the cat, fluff the geraniums, open the kitchen window