Legal soundness comes to open source distribution

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Wed Aug 14 11:47:01 UTC 2002

Lawrence E. Rosen scripsit:

> Whatever else open source licenses do, they do not explicitly make a
> licensee the "owner of a copy."  To transfer ownership requires a
> contract; a mere license won't do.

That seems farfetched to me.

If I set out a table with cookies on it by the side of the road and
a sign saying "HELP YOURSELF!", it seems to me that by taking a cookie
you become owner of the cookie and can do what you like with it.

Similarly, if I put a printer (chained to a tree) by the side of
the road, with a sign saying "PUSH HERE TO GET A FREE COPY OF MY BOOK",
then it seems to me that those who push the button and get a copy
are owners of that copy and can do what they like with it.

In neither case is there any mention whatsoever of ownership.
I grant that in most cases ownership is transferred by means of
contract, but I don't see how a contract can be required.

--
John Cowan   <jcowan at reutershealth.com>   http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
"One time I called in to the central system and started working on a big