Legal soundness comes to open source distribution

Bruce Dodson bruce_dodson at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 13 19:56:16 UTC 2002

I kept my own email short because I knew there were other people, better
qualified to speak on this.  Rod, thanks for stepping forward.  You
presented the facts more thoroughly than I could.  By the way, although you
say you disagree with me, I don't think I disagree with you.  I'm not sure
where that leaves us.

My issue with Bernstein is that he presents his opinion as if it were
historical fact.  This is dangerous for the unsuspecting reader.  One part
of his opinion is that Microsoft's end user license agreements (and, by
extension, all software license agreements) are not enforceable; that you
can simply ignore the license terms and do whatever you want with the
software.  That part of his argument really doesn't hold water for me.